Shamelessly adapted from Greater Greater Washington, whose policy is truly excellent.
The Greater Marin encourages comments from all, regardless of point of view. We hope to build a strong dialogue around the issues discussed. A healthy debate and differing opinions is an important part of making Marin a greater Marin.
Welcoming a discussion with multiple points of view does not, however, mean that anyone has the right to post any comment. Comments that attack other commenters or contributors or dissuade others from posting their ideas serve to chill the discussion. We will monitor comments and may, without notice, delete those that violate these guidelines:
- All commenters must treat their fellow commenters, authors, and other users of the site with respect.
- Comments should address the substance of the argument being made, not the person making the argument. Arguments which criticize a person rather than specific ideas are not permitted.
- Name-calling or comments which berate or belittle other individuals will not be tolerated. If you disagree with someone’s ideas, please make your case using a well-reasoned, logical argument.
- Comments should not discourage other commenters or contributors from posting their views. The Greater Marin is a space for people to post ideas and opinions which may or may not be fully thought through in every detail. If you think something is missing or incorrect, provide useful additional information rather than criticize another for posting without that information.
- You are not required to use your full name to comment here. However, you must provide a real email address when commenting. Email addresses will not be disclosed to anyone outside the site’s administrators.
- If you use a pseudonym to comment, please be consistent. Stick with the same name (or “handle”) and do not publish multiple comments under various names. Please also pick a handle that is unique. If another regular commenter already uses the same one, you may be asked to change yours.
- Impersonating another commenter is not allowed. You should always speak in your own voice.
- We do not tolerate profanity or abusive language. It is important to keep the dialogue civil.
- Do not advocate violent acts against any individual. Comments which do so may be referred to appropriate authorities if necessary.
- It is not appropriate to post the same comment in multiple areas of the site.
- If you have concerns about another comment, or if your comment was deleted, please email me to discuss. Do not post this in the discussion thread itself. Posting comments on the site about the comment policy is not appropriate.
Editors may, at their discretion, remove any other comments that do not contribute to a healthy discussion or which fail to treat other commenters or contributors with respect. Editors may also remove any other comments for any reason at their sole discretion.
The Greater Marin is not responsible for the content of comments generated by users of the site. By submitting content to the comment section of any post, you agree to comply with this policy and give The Greater Marin a perpetual, transferrable, worldwide, royalty-free license to reproduce, distribute, publish, display, edit, modify, create derivative works from, and otherwise use your submission for any purpose in any form and on any media.
If you have any questions or comments about this policy, please contact theGreaterMarin@gmail.com. Thank you for reading The Greater Marin and helping to build a strong dialogue.